The Ezra Klein Show by Vox / Panoply
Tue Mar 29, 2016 • 84 min
David Chang has driven many of the most important food trends of the last decade. His Momofuku empire has put pork belly on your plate, ramen on your corner, and bagel bombs in your local coffee shop. He's received four James Beard awards, been named a GQ Man of the Year, and appeared on Time's 100 most influential people list.
He's also just a smart, funny, thoughtful and profane guy. In this episode, Ezra and David cover a lot of ground, including:
- Whether restauranteurs should be able to patent recipes
- Why two weeks more in one of New York's best restaurants could have killed Chang's career
- The first recipe Chang ever truly invented
- Why his R&D lab is entirely vegan
- Whether eating animals is ethical
- Whether big farms can be humane
- The joys of Buddhist temple cuisine
- How Chang hired Momofuku's first employees, and what he looks for when hiring today
- How nuns made the best potato chips Chang has ever had
- The one recipe Chang thinks everyone should know
This episode is brought to you by The Great Courses Plus. Visit TheGreatCoursesPlus.com/EZRA to stream Inexplicable Universe: Unsolved Mysteries and hundreds of other courses for free!